Thursday 10 December 2020

Picture Sheffield Website - Graham


Graham here! As people who know me know, I am a long term user of SRSB’s services, but I do have enough residual sight to enjoy looking at photos if they are blown up large enough. I used to be a keen amateur photographer before my sight put the mockers on this. I still have enough sight left though, to enjoy looking at photos on a large PC screen, so I still get a lot of pleasure from family snaps, scenery and more recently looking at old historical photos.


I was recently ‘tipped off’ about the Sheffield Archive which now has an extensive collection of old mostly black and white photos of the Sheffield area through the ages. It is FANTASTIC.

 

The website is Picture Sheffield and for partially sighted users, the pages and links are pretty bold and obvious and the site works with speech software.

 

If you have some residual sight and are interested in local history or just curious about what ‘old sheffield’ looked like, check it out.

 

Particular pics that I was impressed with include Chesterfield Road Toll Gate. A then rural area where B&M is now. A burning building in the city centre with an abandoned tram in silhouette I think on the high street. The Bombed out old Redgates Building on the Moor. The old Classic Cinema, one of my favourite old haunts as a teenager, burning to the ground with firemen sillouetted against the flames coming through the roof.


And particularly for me at Chapeltown  loads of photos of Newton Chambers works all gone but for a much smaller cleaner ‘Business Park’ within sight of our home.

 

One particularly relevant picture that has relevance to my earlier life is the photo of the clothing shop Tramps on King Street. I bought my first wedding suit here. Black shiny crushed velvet £9.99. I looked AMAZING!!!   .. Errrr I think....

 

Picture Sheffield is a fantastic free site to explore for you if you have some sight and for the rest of the family.


Cheers
Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment