Friday 19 June 2020

My Sight Loss - Tia

In November 2019, I was dealt a blow that after 6 months of regular hospital visits, surgery and various treatments, that nothing else could be done to improve the vision in my right eye. I would now be classed as blind.
  
Feelings of shock, hurt, grief and anger followed, I was trying to make what limited sight I had better with the surgery, not worse. I was supposed to be enjoying the last few months of my maternity leave with my first child, not worrying about what this meant for me and how was I going to cope. I felt like I was letting my baby girl and the rest of my family down.

Since my childhood diagnosis of Ushers Syndrome, I've always known that my vision would deteriorate gradually over time. I honestly didn't think it would be this soon and I don't think I was prepared for it as much as I thought I was.

I spent the next weeks in denial, trying to ignore what had happened, and struggling with daily tasks. Then I was dealt a second blow in December that I was to be made redundant from a job that I had loved and dedicated 10 years of service to. My confidence and self esteem absolutely plummeted. How on earth was I going to find another job that I could physically do and do well. And how could I do this on top of everything else that I was still trying to figure out.

It was then that I asked for help, and to my surprise many people responded, SRSB was one of the first that I contacted and that's how I met Heather. She regularly visited and kept in contact, she listened, she answered questions (she really knew her stuff!), she found additional support for me, she offered advice, she supported me, and most importantly she showed me that I wasn't alone. She introduced me to the wider community of SRSB. My little girl first met Santa at the SRSB Christmas party. I remember feeling an absolute nervous wreck before as it was the first event that I'd taken her to alone. But everyone was so friendly, welcoming and helpful. I left the party with a very happy and tired out baby, but also a confidence boost and a feeling that I can do this.

Heather and everyone at the SRSB, along with my family and friends, all paid a key role in the past 6 months.

I have accepted and am slowly embracing my differences. I have learnt new skills, knowledge and technology to help me continue to do all the things I need and want to do. I have learnt new ways of doing things and it has built my confidence back. For every new challenge that I came across, I have adapted and become stronger. I hope to continue this with all the new challenges yet to come.

The job situation is the next hurdle but I will tackle it once I am able to as the Covid-19 pandemic has put a hold on it. But I feel more prepared now and I hope to use the help and resources that SRBS have to help me when I can.

I have seen kindness and thoughtfulness that surprised me. It really is the case that if you ask for help, there are people that want to help you. I am forever grateful for the part that the SRSB played with helping me to feel like me again and being happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment